The main aims of the project are:
1. to enhance spatial thinking through an innovative ICT-based approach and an open, collaborative educational environment. Spatial thinking will be enhanced by fostering its three fundamental components: (a) geospatial concepts, (b) representation tools, and (c) reasoning processes.
2. to offer a methodological approach which allows the interdisciplinary organization and semantic linkage of knowledge.
These aims will be achieved through the following specific objectives:
- Development of a pedagogical framework that will introduce essential strategies for the development of an innovative learning approach towards effective spatial thinking.
- Design of the GEOTHNK learning pathways based on the proposed framework that will focus on the organisation of a core set of learning components (concepts, representation tools, reasoning processes, and learning activities) according to the specific needs and characteristics of each target group.
- Development of an open, collaborative educational environment, the GEOTHNK Platform that will enable:
- a. access to various thematic resources and to learning pathways
- b. creation of new learning pathways
- c. semantic linkage of the learning components and relative information for the enrichment of learning pathways.
- d. formulation of a rich semantic network to provide a dynamic structure facilitating knowledge visualization and exploration.
- Piloting the project approach and tools with the user communities
- Development of a systematic evaluation and validation approach of the proposed activities in order to identify their impact and analyse these approaches through real life pilots in various learning contexts, in terms of their effectiveness and efficiency
- To ensure that the GEOTHNK products are communicated to a wide range of audiences